For our US and UK followers, Father’s Day is fast approaching on Sunday, 16 June 2019.
Dads are notoriously hard to buy for, so I’ve done the hard work for you.
I’ve researched the most popular father’s day gifts, and provided recommendations for dads who like gadgets, the great outdoors, gardening, DIY, cars or food and drink. There are also sections for gifts for first Father’s day, novelty gifts, luxury gifts, sentimental gifts and gifts for Grandpa. With over 50 gift suggestions, this is the ultimate Father’s Day gift guide!
I use affiliate marketing, which means I receive a small commission for any products bought via the links below – at no extra cost to you. This does not in any way influence the products that I recommend.
What does dad want for father’s day?
According to this entrepreneur.com article, the most popular gift for father’s day is electronics and technology – gadgets!
I must admit that I’ve struggled writing this section, as I’m one of the last people to embrace new technology! I’m still getting my head around moving from CDs and DVDs to streaming services. If your dad’s like me, perhaps you can help him out by signing him up for Amazon Prime (and showing him how it works!).
So I’m trusting Amazon’s suggestions and the reviewers for the following recommendations:
Left to Right:
1. COWIN E7 Active Noise Cancelling Headphones Bluetooth Headphones with Mic Deep Bass Wireless Headphones Over Ear, Comfortable Protein Earpads, 30H Playtime for Travel Work TV PC Cellphone – Black.
2. MOKOQI Magnetic Levitation Floating Globe Mysteriously Suspended in Air World Map for Desk Decoration.
3. Key Finder Locator, New Model Wireless RF Key Item Tracker Locator with Remote, Smart Key Finder, 1 RF Transmitter and 6 Receivers for Car Keys Pets Purse Cellphone Wallet – perfect for the dad who finds it hard to keep tabs on his stuff!
4. Rocketbook Everlast Reusable Smart Notebook, Executive Size.
5. HTC VIVE Virtual Reality System.
6. Anker PowerCore 5000 Portable Charger, Ultra-Compact External Battery with Fast-Charging Technology. Gadget dad is likely to have lots of devices – help him to keep them all charged with this power bank.
7. Handmade Wooden Docking Station, Desk organizer For Smartphone, Tablet, Watch, Wallet, Shades, Keys Coins, with Built-in Mirror, with Card Holder to keep his devices tidy.
For the outdoors dad
The Entrepreneur article also tells us that 25% of US dads see themselves as ‘outdoor adventurers’. If your dad enjoys fishing, hunting, hiking, biking, climbing, camping, or general Bear Grylls type adventures, this section is for you.
Amazon has a whole range of gift ideas for outdoor adventurers – click this link to view them: Outdoor adventure gifts for dad.
Here are some of my favourites:
Left to Right:
1. You know he’s an outdoor adventurer if he wears plaid shirts! Other options include camouflage wear, fleece or wet weather gear.
2. Dry bag – essential for keeping outdoor dad’s stuff safe while he fishes / kayaks / rafts / camps / snowboards.
3. National Geographic’s Complete National Parks of the United States – to help him plan his next adventure! Or relive his last one.
4. Gerber Bear Grylls Fire Starter – a little helping hand, if he hasn’t quite mastered the survival skills.
For gardening dad
Still outdoors, but slightly less adventurous, is gardening dad. If your dad has green fingers, check out these gift ideas:
Left to Right:
1. SueSport Folding Garden Bench Seat Stool Kneeler – Amazon’s Choice for garden kneeling bench.
2. Pure Garden 8 Piece Garden Tool and Tote Set.
3. The Mini Farming Bible: The Complete Guide to Self-Sufficiency on ¼ Acre.
4. 15,000 Non GMO Heirloom Vegetable Seeds Survival Garden 32 Variety Pack by Open Seed Vault.
Or perhaps your dad prefers the indoors. If he enjoys fixing things up around the house, how about some new tools for his collection? Here are some of the favourites from Amazon.com:
Left to Right:
1. DEWALT DWA2T40IR IMPACT READY FlexTorq Screw Driving Set, 40-Piece – Amazon’s best seller for screwdriver bit sets.
2. TEKTON 24335 1/2″ Drive Click Torque Wrench (10-150′.-Lb./13.6-203.5 Nm) – best seller for torque wrench.
3. BLACK+DECKER LD120VA 20-Volt Max Lithium Drill/Driver with 30 Accessories – best selling drill.
4. Crescent CTK170CMP2 Mechanics Tool Set, 170-Piece – Amazon’s Choice for tool sets.
Although, if he’s an avid DIYer, he may already have all the tools he needs. In that case, how about a hardware cabinet to keep all his nuts and bolts tidy? Or, a magnetic wristband to keep them handy while he works? If you’re looking for something a little more sentimental, how about this cute hammer keyring – it comes with the note “Thank you for helping me to build my life”.
Car mad dad
There are plenty of gift options for car mad dad. From cleaning kits to keep his pride and joy immaculate, to accessories and novelty items to safety sets. Below are some ideas:
Left to Right:
1. ThisWorx for TWC-01 Car Vacuum – Amazon’s best-selling car vacuum.
2. Starling’s Car Trunk Organizer will keep the clutter at bay.
3. Criacr Bluetooth FM Transmitter for Car – play music from the radio or your device, and charge your devices with the USB charger.
4. Mofeez 9pcs Car Cleaning Tools Kit, including car duster, Microfiber car wash sponge, 3 car wash microfiber cloths (gray for water stains cleaning, brown for window and car body), car tire brush, car wheel brush with handle and window water scraper. All contained within a plastic storage box.
5. Janazala ARTORI Silicone Drink Coasters. To remind him of his car while he’s at home.
6. Blikzone Roadside Assistance Car Emergency Kit Camo Bundled – 82 Piece has everything he needs in the event of an emergency.
For dads who enjoy good food and drink, here are some ideas for gifts for the wine or whisky connoisseur, or the budding Gordon Ramsay.
Left to Right:
1. del Hutson Designs – The Little Elm Wine Rack, USA Handmade Reclaimed Wood, Wall Mounted, 4 Bottle 4 Long Stem Glass Holder (Natural). For the wine-loving dad, this is a beautiful shelf/holder to store his wine and glasses.
2. grilljoy Gift with Gift Wrapping Box – 20pc BBQ Grill Tool Set, Stainless Steel Accessories in Aluminum Storage Case, Complete Outdoor Grilling Barbecue Utensils. This is a great gift for dad coming into barbecue season.
3. Chef Essential 6 Piece Knife Set With Matching Sheaths, Black. All good chefs need good knives.
4. For the beer-loving dad, how about a kegerator? This one is a mini one, available in either 64oz or 128oz. GrowlerWerks uKeg 128 SST Pressurized Growler for Craft Beer, 128 oz, Stainless Steel.
5. For the whisky-loving dad: Paksh Novelty 7-Piece Italian Crafted Glass Decanter & Whisky Glasses Set.
6. Gordon Ramsay’s Healthy, Lean & Fit: Mouthwatering Recipes to Fuel You for Life.
7. FoodSaver V3240 Vacuum Sealing System with Starter Kit.
First father’s day
First father’s days are special, and there are a range of gifts available to help you celebrate.
There are lots of children’s booked with special ‘dad-focused’ editions. My favourite is I Love Dad with The Very Hungry Caterpillar (The World of Eric Carle) (1st image below).
For a memorable keepsake, this New Dad Sweet Poem in Double Frame, Add Photo fits the bill. With a beautiful poem dedicated to dad on one side, the other is a photo frame for you to add your favourite picture of dad with his baby (2nd image, below).
How about a matching outfit set? There are plenty of options for matching t-shirts / onesies for father’s day, but my pick is the Mashed Clothing Papa Bear & Baby Bear Unisex T-Shirt & Striped Bodysuit Set (3rd image below). As well as being cute and stylish, it’s unisex, and comes in a range of sizes for both dad and baby.
Finally, check out the book How to DAD by Jordan Watson (4th image below). How to DAD is known for making funny viral parenting videos on things like “How to get a baby to clean the house” or “How to travel with a baby”. This book is the perfect light-hearted gift for new dads or dads-to-be.
There are a couple of options in the Novelty gifts section (below) that are also well suited to first time dads. The play cars t-shirt is designed with young kids in mind, and the dad jokes book is perfect for the new dad who hasn’t yet mastered the dad joke!
If you want something that tells dad exactly how much he means to you, try one of these. The fill-in journal gives the opportunity to truly personalise your gift. If you’re not so good with words, perhaps the key chain or the rock express what you’d like to say. Don’t forget the hammer keyring under the DIY section above – thanking dad for helping you to build your life.
Left to Right:
1. Knock Knock What I Love about Dad Fill in the Love Book Fill-in-the-Blank Gift Journal.
2. Fathers’ Day Key Chain, Genuine Leather Key Chain for Dad-“A Son’s First Hero A Daughter’s First Love”.
3. “Happy Fathers Day, I love you Dad, everyday around the clock, always remember, that you are my rock.” Engraved Rock gift, Only 250 made, Rare Unique Gift.
If the sentimental gifts made you squirm, perhaps a novelty gift is more up your alley. This selection is light-hearted and affectionate for dads who prefer to avoid the sentimentality.
Left to Right:
1. Play Cars on Daddy’s Back – Gift for Dad and Kids Funny Car Play Mat T-Shirt.
2. Dad Jokes: The Terribly Good Dad jokes book.
3. The Man, The Myth, The Legend | 20 oz Stainless Steel Tumbler.
4. Funny Dad Mug – I Got You A Mug/Even-Steven.
This selection is far beyond the average $116 spent on father’s day gifts*, but if you’re looking for something extra special, or if you have siblings to club together with, here are some options for luxury gifts:
Don’t forget grandpa’s a father too! Here are some of my favourites from the range for granddads.
Left to Right:
1. Papa: The Man, the myth, the legend t-shirt.
2. Grandpa Gift for Father’s Day – Stainless Steel I Couldn’t Pick A Better Grandpa Guitar Pick Jewelry, Unique Birthday Gift for Musician Grandfather.
3. The Grandfather Gift for Dad Father’s Day Mens Novelty Sarcastic Funny T Shirt.
So there we have over 50 gift ideas for dad for father’s day. No need to resort to another tie (the most popular bought father’s day gift).
If you still can’t find what you’re looking for, grab a gift card and let him choose for himself. That was actually the most popular choice from dads – I wonder whether that’s just because they don’t trust us! Maybe they’re tired of ties. Or afraid that we might get them a gym membership (the least popular father’s day gift).
What gift will you give your dad this father’s day?
Did you enjoy this article?
If you enjoyed this article, here are some ways that you can connect with GoalGetters:
Leave a comment
Leave a comment in the box at the bottom of the page to let me know what you enjoyed about the article. Do you recommend any of these products? Are there others that you would add to this list?
Share with your friends
Share the article with your friends using the sharing buttons at the end of the article. If your preferred platform isn’t listed, drop me a comment to let me know.
Check out the other articles
Take a look at the other articles on the site. You can access them all from the Articles page.
You may be interested in:
Sign up to the mailing list
Sign up to the mailing list to receive the latest content and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.